Friday, December 20, 2013

Let it snow...Please! let it snow!

Christmas time is here. Happiness and cheer... and a big ol long list of "I want"....

My oldest LOVES every aspect of this season. We have spent the month of December oohing and aahing over lights and decorations, watching Christmas movies and specials, singing carols over and over and over ( it is his goal to memorize every carol ever.. so sick of rudolph, falalalala, and even Hark the Herald Angels).... we have made crafts and attempted Christmas cookies, but most of all we have been building a master Christmas list. 

This is the first year he has really understood the whole gift getting aspect of Christmas. So everywhere we go I hear, " Mommy, let's add this to my list". I then lovingly explain that we don't get everything on our list. Normally, I receive a vague shrug and mumble in response as if this is crazy talk and of course all 3 billion items from his list will be waiting for him Christmas morning. I know come Christmas morning the list will be mostly forgotten and he will be ecstatic with his gifts. But, I am afraid he will notice the absence of one of his essentials.....snow. 

Yes, has repeatedly asked me to put snow on his list. When excitedly looking forward to the big day, he exclaims that we will open all our presents Christmas eve and then we will make snow angels Christmas Day. The first time he said this I asked what we would do if there was no snow. The look he gave me was more 14 than 4 as he slowly replied, " There is always snow at Christmas". I immediately knew I was in trouble. It's too warm, we live in North Carolina, it doesn't always snow at Christmas, we can still have fun without snow.....these are just some of my replies. None seem to work. Books, shows, and Christmas songs have convinced him snow and Christmas are synonymous. Nothing Mommy says can undo this.

 So, join me in praying for a freak winter storm for NC, or kindly turn a blind eye when my family is bundled up in winter coats and scarves happily making "angels" in the browning grass and  piles of dead leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment