Saturday, January 4, 2014

Let's Start the New Year Right...

I've spent the last week contemplating this post. It is the obligatory New Year's post. My official recognition of the New Year, my formal goodbye to the former year, and my declarations of an improved me for 2014....where to begin??

It seems a bit daunting to encapsulate an entire year in a paragraph. I have struggled trying to put the joys of a new son, the blessings of healed loved ones,  and the encouragement of blooming friendships into words. My fingers hesitate over the keys as I attempt to share the disappointments of missed opportunities, the fear of unexpected change, the hurt inflicted by others, and the hurt I unintentionally inflicted on others. It was an eventful year. One I might choose to write about more in depth later. But, right now I'm more interested in the coming year.

My resolutions...my intentions for the year. I've never been a big maker or keeper of resolutions, but as I get older I realize the importance of setting realistic goals. I see the need to not just walk through my days letting what ever will be to occur, but I need to be intentional. I want to play an active role in my life. So I have come up with a short list of things I want to do, and areas where I know I can improve.

1. Choose to be present when interacting with my sons. Whether its playing, having conversations, or just snuggling I want to be truly locked in and engaged in the moment. I will set aside the distractions ( phone, chores, books) and focus on them.

2. Choose to be less angry. Angry while driving, angry while doing chores that no one else has seen the need to do, angry when every little detail of the day doesn't go my way. 

3. Choose restraint. Restraint with a fork... or debit card... or even words....

Basically my resolutions can be summed up like this....

I want my life to be marked by love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control. These are characteristics that the Bible clearly states do not come naturally to a sinful heart like mine. These characteristics are cultivated by the Holy Spirit in my heart and life. They can only take shape when I choose to set aside my own selfish wants and desires and prayerfully seek the Lord. This is something my know it all/ move let me do it personality has struggled with implementing. 

So, goodbye old year, and welcome new year. I'm excited to see what you bring and how I will respond to it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment